brunswick electrician

Common Household Electrical Issues You Shouldn’t Ignore

When you’ve got a million and one things to do in a day, it can be easy to put seemingly harmless electrical issues on the bottom of your priority list. However, the truth is that ‘small’ electrical problems can turn into very dangerous ones very fast. In some cases, these issues might even be a symptom of a larger concern that already exists beneath the surface – and the last thing you want to do is wait for the worst-case scenario to play out.

To keep you, your family and your property safe from electrical incidents, we’ve outlined a few common electrical issues you should be aware of. Here’s what you should be looking out for and what you should do if these problems arise in your home…

Overloaded circuits

Circuit breakers are designed to keep your home safe in the event of an electrical failure. For homes without any electrical issues, this is rarely – if ever – a problem and is used more as a safety precaution. However, if you notice that your circuit breakers are frequently tripping, this could be a sign that something bigger is going on beneath the surface. In this situation, you should call a licensed electrician to assess the situation and provide the necessary repairs to ensure your home and family are safe.

Exposed wiring

Did you know that electrical incidents kill over a dozen Australians every week? In many cases, this is due to exposed wiring and the myriad of problems it can cause. If you discover this issue in your home, it’s vital that you don’t touch it or try to fix it yourself. These exposed wires can electrocute you and even cause fires, so make sure you call a professional to fix it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, move all furniture away from the exposed wire, do not plug anything into the power socket and make sure children and pets aren’t able to go near it.

Power outages

Power outages are extremely annoying, but it’s important that you never try to fix a problem yourself. If something has happened to affect the power in your area – such as an incident involving powerlines or a grid malfunction – you should simply wait for information from your council or energy provider. However, if your home has experienced a stand-alone problem, you should call for professional help immediately. Any attempt to fix or investigate the issue could result in injury or further harm to your property, so it’s best to leave it to the professionals.

Melted or discoloured switches

Ever pulled out a switch from a power point and noticed that the plastic had melted away? Or maybe it had just gone a funny brown colour and you didn’t think much of it? Unfortunately, this is a sign that the internal wiring could be having issues and it’s vital that you get it looked at by a professional as soon as possible. Faulty wiring can cause a huge range of issues in your home, including circuit failures, electric shocks and even fires if the problem is bad enough. So, if you notice this problem, it’s best to get it looked at before it gets worse.

Write a Comment